8 ounces Ramen Noodles
1 head garlic, cloves separated and smashed
1 small jalapeño pepper, sliced into paper-thin rings (with its seeds)
1 small bunch cilantro, stems removed from leaves and reserved, leaves coarsely chopped (about ½ cup)
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup frozen peas
1 medium carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin on the bias
12 little neck clams, scrubbed
1 pint dry sea scallops
½ cup white miso
Lemon wedges for serving
1. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring 5 cups of water, the garlic, jalapeño, cilantro stems and wine and to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain out the solids and return the broth to the saucepan, remove from heat.
2. In a separate pan of boiling water cook the ramen, drain in a sieve and rinse under cold running water. Drain well and set aside.
3. Bring the broth to a simmer. Add the peas, carrot, scallops, and clams with their juices, simmer 2 minutes.
4. In a sieve placed directly into the broth, add the miso and press into the soup using a rubber spatula or the back of a wooden spoon. Simmer for 1 minute.
5. Re-heat the ramen in the sieve under hot running water. Drain well and divide among 4 deep bowls. Ladle the soup over the ramen, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
© Recipe Property of Peter Berley