4 pounds chicken wings, each chopped into 3-4 pieces
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
8 cloves garlic peeled and left whole
2 stalks of celery, chopped
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Place oven rack in lowest position and preheat oven to 500°F.
2. Combine the chicken and oil in a roasting pan or saute pan large enough to hold it in a single layer.
3. Roast for 45 minutes stirring occasionally until the chicken is nicely browned. Add the vegetables and thyme and stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan. Return the pan to the oven and roast 20 minutes.
4. Place the pan on the stove top and slowly add the water. Simmer for 30 minutes, strain into a clean pan. Boil the stock over high heat until reduced to 4 cups.
5. Strain the stock in to a shallow dish and refrigerate or freeze until the fat has congealed. Skim of and discard the fat before using.
© Recipe Property of Peter Berley